Sunday, November 7, 2010

"That's Enough Happiness With the Dog!"

Today is an interesting one for me. My husband has gone hunting for the week. My kids are all grown up and gone... It's an odd state to be in after all the years of happy hub-bub of our home.

I remember times that I actually wished for days like these. Oh, you know what I mean. Those days when all the kids are up all night with high fevers. or in the hospital with things you can't fix or take away...

There was one moment I wish I could take back.

Our kids had two of their best friends over for lunch. I was exhausted and sleep deprived. One of our sons decided to be extra sassy that day.

I remember grabbing the family size bottle of ranch dressing at one point and fighting the impulse to hose him down with the dressing!

I placed the bottle firmly on the table, in order to resist the temptation. Some of the kids went silent.

Then, Ryan said yet another sassy remark to me... Before I knew what I was doing, I had that plump bottle back in my hands and growled while a guizer of white dressing shot across the table. I hosed him from head to toe with the white, sticky mess!

Finally, the nasty look was off his face replaced with horror. I too was horrified at what I had done. As the empty bottle fell limply from my hands to the table top, I wished I could go back in time.

All was silent for a moment. I heard a snort and then giggles from the other boys and then outright laughter. Ryan, ran from the room in mortification.

I sat heavily in a chair. I realized I'd never done such an awful thing to my kid. I felt crushed with guilt.

A few minutes later he came out and ate his lunch with more respect that I had ever witnessed. An unusual calmness washed over me as I apologized to him in front of the others.

Yes, moms do make mistakes. Our son often brings up the story and hugs me and tells me how much he loves me. All is well thank goodness! My son realized he was a handful back then. There are days that try our very last nerve as parents. There are times we feel repentant as well.

Do you have moments when your heart feels like it will expire, because it's filled with happy moments it might pop? I sure have.

One of those such happy moments could be when I happened upon our youngest, now serving a mission. Hunter was playing with our golden retriever in the living room. The young dog was bounding from the couch to the floor and back again. Hunter was giggling, silky blond hair shining in the lamplight as he twirled to keep up with where the dog landed. He was tossing a ball on the couch as the dog followed. They both looked so happy I couldn't bring myself to scold them for throwing a ball in the room and jumping on my best couches! So I watched quietly and felt their joy, if only for a moment.

Suddenly Hunter reached out to the dogs collar, knelt down on one knee, then placed both his chubby hands on either side of the dog's face and said these memorable words...

"That's enough happiness with the dog now." Then he walked away.

Such a simple way of telling the dog and himself it was time to settle down. Happiness was the feeling I'd gotten from the childlike scene I'd witnessed. It's a moment I draw from when I miss my boys.

After 25 years of being a stay at home mom and wife, I revel in the joys that are mine to keep in my heart during these times I'm enjoying now.

This season in my life is a time for reflection until things pick up again. I'm sure they will when all our kids are done with college and return home once again. I'm looking forward to those years with anticipation.

Copyright 2010 by Valora A. Otis

1 comment:

Sheila said...

How sweet...a nice way to start my day by reading some inspiring words...thank you again Val!

Sheila