Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The harvest is just about over. All I have left are the cabbages, potato's and my wilting pepper plants. We had help this year with our harvest towards the end. The entire Johnson clan showed up and saved the day! How wonderful it is to have so many willing friends to help with the work before our first big frost!

After the harvest we ate yummy pizza together from Domino's in Rochford MN. The Tanya special was the highlight of the night! YUM! We shared our meal with Elisabeth from the neighboring farm. After dinner we all piled into the cars and drove to her house.

We were able to see a working farm, unlike our hobby farm. She has dairy cows, chickens, piglets and beef cattle. I'm often found there feeding the calves. I love it!

That day was no different. I got to feed a calf. So did several of the Johnson's. It was great fun! My favorite is Sarah the Jersey cow. She loves being scritched under her chin like a cat. Her tongue is surprisingly like a big giant house cat as well, all rough and scratchy. Dairy cows at Elisabeth's are just like big puppies. I love it! But not enough to want to own one myself. ha ha! I know my limits!

Yesterday we picked up our first rabbit! We want to raise them for pets and for meat. It's a wonderful renewable resource. Pound for pound you get more for your money with rabbits than with cows. They have eight to 12 babies each litter. I'm going to study up on the subject for next spring! Our one bunny was picked up off an add on freecycle.com. The cage, bunny and food were all free! Neat!

We found out this week that our daughter in law Jelly is having a baby boy! We are all so excited about the upcoming birth this winter.

In November our kids will all be home for Thanksgiving! I can't even put into words how excited we all are to be together again! Hunter will be back from his mission in October. I can hardly stand the wait. So finally the Otis family will be reunited. We are all so grateful for the mission experiences we've all had with having four sons who've served missions. We look forward to our grandsons and granddaughters serving the Lord full time if they so wish. Terry and I would also like to serve a mission in the years to come. It has been a dream of ours for a long time.

I hope my readers are all having a fantastic day! Be kind to yourself and count your blessings today! 

No comments: